the harvest is plenty but the laborers are few

Sunday, October 2, 2011

BIG

I'm going to share with you a couple verses from the Old Testament.  They were preached on today in church and I thought the message worth sharing.

1 Chronicles 4:9-10
 9 Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, “I gave birth to him in pain.” 10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.

This translation does not really encompass all the meaning of this passage.  Jabez literally means He who makes sorrow.  His mother did not just birth him in pain, but she bore him in sorrow.  Can you imagine baring a child and naming him "sorrow."  Makes you wonder what kind of event brought about such a birth...

BUT here is what we can learn from these verses.  Look at verse 10.  Jabez whose life literally started out as sorrow, still rose above his name.  Not only did he rise above his circumstances and live 'more honorable than his brothers.'  But Jabez CRIED OUT TO THE GOD OF ISRAEL! 

And what do you think God did? 

God granted his request.

Jabez is not unique.  It doesn't matter if your life started out as sorrow.  It doesn't matter if your DAY started out as sorrow.  Live honorably.  CALL out to Him!

3 comments:

Pamela said...

I was born a Jabez, too.

Hanna said...

You REALLY need to start seeing your self as the "beautifully and wonderfully made" being that you are! God doesn't make mistakes.
You are so loved, Pamela.
PLUS, your name means sweetness, not sorrow, ya dork! :P

Amy :) said...

Amen!